Considering the Colts: Why is Indy being disrespected?

Heads up! This article was imported from a previous version of The Campus Citizen. If you notice any issues, please let us know.

The Colts were able to score another big win last Sunday, extending their winning streak to two games. Indianapolis now controls their own destiny in the division after the win against Houston put them in first place. But why do organizations like ESPN still disrespect the Colts and their 4-2 record?

In the latest ESPN NFL Power Rankings, the Colts did not crack the top 10 while the Texans, who the Colts just beat, took the tenth spot on the list. To add salt to the wound, gives Houston a 55% chance to make the playoffs and Indianapolis a 45% chance.

But why? 

It was doom and gloom before the season started with Andrew Luck retiring, causing Indy to turn to Jacoby Brissett, who was not looked on favorably by fans because of his performance in 2017 with the Colts. Brissett was not given a fair shake that season because he was traded to the Colts just 10 days before his first start with the new team. After a couple seasons behind Luck and learning Frank Reich’s offense, Brissett is thriving and making the necessary plays to win games. 

Brissett was named AFC Offensive Player of the Week after his performance this past week. He racked up career highs in passing yards with 326 and touchdowns with four. The narrative that Brissett is just a backup has to be aborted by these media outlets. He has proved to everyone that he is ready to lead this team and take them deep in the playoffs.

The offense certainly is not the problem, so maybe the defense is the reason the Colts are being overlooked. The Colts currently have the 20th ranked defense in the league, but Houston has the 17th ranked defense so these two units are not so far off from each other. The difference is that Indianapolis’ defense has been banged up all season long. Safety Malik Hooker has been out for a few weeks, linebacker Darius Leonard missed a couple of games, and other minor injuries in the secondary and defensive line has hurt the Colts in a couple of these games.

Fortunately for the Colts, this is the healthiest week they have had all season. Malik Hooker is a full go this week against the struggling Broncos and cornerback Kenny Moore II is back this week as well. The defense faces a Denver offense that is far from the Kansas City and Houston offense they faced the past couple of weeks. Denver traded wide receiver Emmanuel Sanders this week leaving quarterback Joe Flacco with limited options. The Broncos struggle to move the ball and will continue to struggle against a healthy Colts defense.

The one thing the Broncos have going for them is their defense that is ranked 4th in the league. Brissett and the offense will have their work cut out for them. The offensive line that has been good all year for the Colts will be tested. If Brissett gets time to throw and holes open up for Marlon Mack, the Colts should be able to move the ball and beat Denver and extend the winning streak to three.

Powered by SNworks Solutions by The State News
All Content © 2024 The Campus Citizen, IUPUI