Letter from the Editor: Welcome Back!

Heads up! This article was imported from a previous version of The Campus Citizen. If you notice any issues, please let us know.

Now that we’re all (hopefully) used to our schedules, gone into debt buying textbooks and have sufficiently boozed, we can officially say that the semester is in full swing. That being said, welcome back, Jags!

I’m excited to begin my senior year as Editor-in-Chief of The Campus Citizen. The editorial staff, with help from our faculty adviser Mark Haab, have made many changes to the website and our general direction for our publication. This is our first full year on WordPress, and the opportunities that the platform provides will allow for more multimedia works, and we are excited to branch out with new advertisers from campus and around the city. Casey Kenworthy, our Managing Editor, is gearing up for events and programs hosted by The Campus Citizen, including workshops and coffee hours.

A main goal for this semester is to develop better relationships with student groups around campus. For this to be achieved, it will need to be a group effort from us here at The Campus Citizen and student leaders around campus. If you are part of a student group hosting an event or just have news to share, send us a tip at thecampuscitizen@gmail.com. We hope to create a monthly calendar of events happening around campus, and we would love to include yours!

In an effort to build a better relationship with administration, faculty and staff, we are introducing this semester the opportunity for guest columns. Any administrator, professor or university employee with a story to share should reach out the above email for more details. By doing so, we hope to become a voice for the entire campus community.

In the campus section this year, readers can expect extensive coverage of the 10th annual Regatta, features on notable faculty, students and campus guests. We will closely follow the Graduate and Professional Student Government and the Undergraduate Student Government, thanks to the hard work and diligence of Senior Editor J. A. Bedell.

In our sports section, editor Ryan Gregory will lead his team in covering IUPUI sports, including women’s soccer and swimming, as well as giving writers exclusive access to professional teams around the city.

In culture, editor - and local musician - Lynzi Stringer and her team will diligently cover artists and musicians who come to campus, events around the city, such as Indy Jazz Fest, concerts at the Hi-Fi and all of the other events that make Indianapolis such a great place to go to school.

This year, we are planning to expand our Multimedia Section significantly. David Rowan, our Multimedia Director, is looking for videographers, photographers and those interested in podcasts to join his section. There are many opportunities in the multimedia section to record and discuss hot topics around IUPUI.

When I joined The Campus Citizen in the Fall of 2015, it was a small group of dedicated student reporters who built the publication from the ground up. David Schroeder and Benjamin Cooley, our first Editor-in-Chief and Managing Editor, respectively, worked to create a student publication to be a voice for IUPUI students, independent from any powers that be that may try and control said voice. Since they graduated, as well as Campus Citizen legends Keegan Rammel, Elizabeth Cotter, Rob Hunt and Leighann Strollo, the remaining staff has worked to maintain the hard work that they put into our publication so that future Jaguars can have a strong, independent student media.

This semester, I was overwhelmed at the amount of people who walked through our doors for our first meeting (and returned for the second!). As I wrap up my time here at The Campus Citizen--where I’ve met my second family and where I started my journey as a reporter--I could not be more thankful that I will leave behind a staff of enthusiastic young reporters eager to share the stories from around IUPUI.

It can’t be ignored that none of this would be possible without the support from the Department of Journalism and Public Relations. Throughout the years, they have helped send us to conferences that make us better reporters, help us find scholarships, and after we had trouble finding a meeting space after the departmental move to Cavanaugh Hall, they found us spaces to meet and publish. Above all else, support from Jonas Bjork, Emily Turnier, Chris Lamb and Malcolm Moran has made it possible for us to continue doing what we love.

This year, I look forward to sharing with you the stories that shape our campus and our community. Not every story will be happy- events such as the tragic death of a sophomore student last year and crimes on campus are unfortunate stories that have to be told. But, overall, I hope that the stories-your stories-that we share here at The Campus Citizen will help you make the most of your college experience.

Here’s to a great semester!

Breanna Cooper

Editor-in-Chief

Powered by SNworks Solutions by The State News
All Content © 2024 The Campus Citizen, IUPUI